Logo

Inboard exhaust

W

Wally McDonald

I am installing a new 454 eng

I am installing a new 454 engine and plan on exhausting thru hull. Does anyone have any thoughts on the need of mufflers? I am haveing trouble finding room for them. Will this be overly loud? I plan on thru hull just above the water line.

Mufflers are almost a must ha

Mufflers are almost a must have due to noise and now some are equiped with back flow preventers to keep that nasty old water out of the engine. The ones I installed were only 12 inches long and worked great. Kim

" Yes Wally, it you are exitin

" Yes Wally, it you are exiting above the waterline it is going to be overly loud. "

I have a problem with the exh

I have a problem with the exhaust on a A-4 atomic engine. What could I wrap the 2" pipe from manfold to muffler with that could with stand the tempture it was wraped with asbestos to start with. This is a water cooled exhaust but still gets real hot.Need some help with this one.

Any good marine supply store

Any good marine supply store will stock muffler wrap. It is now made asbestos free and works fairly well. They also make custom fitted exhaust blankets which are nice but are more expensive. If your ehaust is water cooled why is it so hot? Double check raw water system to assure proper flow exists. Kim

Back