Logo

1980 OMC Problems

rick

Regular Contributor
My OMC Outdrive is stuck in t

My OMC Outdrive is stuck in the down position. I was only able to trailer it by using the trim in the full up position.
When I activate the tilt switch I hear a whining noise from the outdrive area.
Can someone tell me how to get the outdrive up manually?
And then any suggestions on the whining noise?
Rick

" Rick;

Before anything els

" Rick;

Before anything else, eheck the fluid level in your trim pump reservoir. If OK, there is a manual hydraulic bypass valve on the trim pump. This pump in inside the boat, usually mounted on the floor, back by the motor. If this does not help, you can remove the pin from the end of the cylinders and lift the unit by hand. This will require you to tie the unit up, but will allow you to move the boat until you can get the hydraulics repaired. Good luck. "

" Rick,

My bad. A 1980 OMC

" Rick,

My bad. A 1980 OMC would be a stringer drive, the prior information I suggested is for a Cobra.
Most likely the tilt motor drive shaft sheared. This is quite common on this system. If you need to move the boat right away, you can unbolt the "moon" gear from the drive and tie up the unit. A good service manual will aid you in replacing the shaft if you decide to do it yourself. "

I have parts for that OMC I t

I have parts for that OMC I think. If you need an electric motor for the lift of the gear box let me know. I HATE THAT DRIVE!

I have a 90 OMC Cobra 5.8L th

I have a 90 OMC Cobra 5.8L that is clicking when I try to trim it up. It was working fine till the other day then it started to click. Does this have any solenoids installed on it? Or is it all just through the relay breaker by the pump motor?

i have a 1982 omc 305 with an

i have a 1982 omc 305 with an omc sterndrive the gear that lifts up the outdrive (its that quarter of a circle looking thing with teeth on it) broke off from going too fast in shallow water when i ran agroun it lifted the out drive up and broke off the gear i was wondering if you know anybody or you yourself have one of these gears or if you could find one and how much they are thank you eric

Back