Logo

2000 Johnson 115 OceanPro steering problem

• Thread starter Maurice Summerfield
  • Start date
M

Maurice Summerfield

" Can anyone help?. After stee

" Can anyone help?. After steering sharp to stbd. under power I am unable to to steer to port, The steering is totally solid , I can still turn stbd but if i return to port the same problem is there. The only way to clear the jam is by tilting the engine a fair way up and then back.
I've changed the old cable system to hydraulic (NZ$2000)and the problem is STILL there. "

" try heating up the the cylin

" try heating up the the cylinder on which the motor swivels on..i forget what its called right now, but you might have some hardend greese in there, and its not letting fresh, new greese to come in "

"Maurice.... When the steering

"Maurice.... When the steering cable was completely removed, were you able to turn the engine back and forth (full port to strb etc) without encounteriing a problem? If so, it's unlikely that a problem exists with the swivel bracket.

When the engine is not running, does this problem still exist?

Standing in back of the engine, can you push or pull the powerhead to and fro or sideways and really make it wobble such as if a couple motor mounts were broken? If so, I'd suspect that the lower motor mount bracket, the one that is attached to the bottom of the swivel bracket, has striped its splines..... although I've never seen that problem jam an engines steering.

The trim tab that is directly over the propeller, any possibility that it is adjusted in the wrong direction to an extreme?

Joe
"

" Thanks for the comments! I s

" Thanks for the comments! I should have explained myself a little better. The problem does not exist 99% of the time. It's only when I think I'm in my youth again that it happens; i.e.from a stationary position, full throttle and full steer to stbd. I can then just about steer to straight ahead but there is no way I can steer to port, I then have to tilt motor up till its just about out of the water and back, it is then completely normal again. The first time it happened I spent 2hrs. motoring back on the aux.in complete darkness hanging over the back to steer.
It's night time here now but I'll try the wobble check tomorrow. "

" Sounds like a problem with y

" Sounds like a problem with your boat mounted steering,not the engine.Replace your steering with Teleflex "Big T" steering best of the push/pull cable steering. "

Jupiterzeke; please see my no

Jupiterzeke; please see my note of MAY 20

" Problem solved;
The mecha

" Problem solved;
The mechanic that did the last engine service dropped a 1/4" drive socket inside the cowelling.
It finished up according to Murphy's Law.
When he was re-united with it, he said,"I wondered where that had gone".
Thanks for all your suggestions. "

Back