Logo

8HP Honda 4stroke how does alternator work

V

Val

" Hi Folks,

Sorry if this i

" Hi Folks,

Sorry if this is a "dumb" question - but I'm helping out a friend, and am not familiar with how outboards work - my background is automotive.

The question is - the charging circuit for 8 HP Honda 4-stroke outboards: There is an accessory plug on the front of the engine that is intended to be a 12Volt, 5 amp output for charging your battery. When the engine is running, the voltage at the plug never seems to go above 2 volts.

My question is: Is this a problem, or is it normal - because a battery needs to be present to energize the alternator field before it will generate any power? (This is how it would work on a car - and why you can't push-start a totally dead car like you could with generator-equipped cars) The Honda manual doesn't specify how this works.

Appreciate an answer from anybody familiar with this condition. As I mentioned - this may be a dumb question because it may be normal for outboards.

Thanks!

Val

(If you could e-mail me the answer - I'd be assured of finding it!) "

my background is auto too but

my background is auto too but i have 1984 honda 9.9 puts out 7-8vlts at idle and 12 or more at speed

Back