Logo

50 HP mariner fuel problems

M

Mike Nichols

" I have a 1987 Mariner 50HP e

" I have a 1987 Mariner 50HP engine that I am having fuel problems with. I have two center bowl type carbs on my engine, and I have torn them down twice although not completely. I replaced the inlet needle, seat,and gaskets on both carbs. I adjusted the floats and reassembled the carbs. I have also replaced the fuel filter with a glass see thru type filter.
After doing all this in addittion to spraying a full can of gummout carb cleaner to clean the body it still looses power at full throttle after hitting a few wakes or running for about five minutes. When this happens I have to run at low speed to make it back to shore. I have done everything short of buying new carbs, if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated........P.S. the motor had been sitting up for about a year and a half with gas in it. I bought a new fuel tank and didn't use the old gas. "

"Mike,

I guess you have che

"Mike,

I guess you have checked the fuel pump, but if you haven't you should. Make sure there is a steady stream when you crank the engine, but if you have a pressure gauge hook it up to the fuel line from the pump. You should read a couple of pounds per square inch. It should hold pressure when you stop cranking.

Make sure the fuel hose and primer bulb are working properly also.

I think you may have overlooked something in the carb also. There is a plug on the front of the float bowl, and inside you will find the main jet. Unscrew the plug and take a look at the jet orifice. Ususlly you can clean it up without having to remove it from the carb, but if things are really gummed up, it is better to remove it and clean everything really well.

Make sure the idle system is clear. Remove the idle mixture screw and see if you can blow some WD-40 in there and have it come out through the tiny holes on the engine side of the throttle plate. You should also see fuel coming out through the main nozzle in the center of the carb in the float chamber. You may hjave to remove the aluminum plugs on the top and port side of the carb which cover the idle channels if things are clogged.

"

" Tony, thanks for responding

" Tony, thanks for responding so quickly. I will check my fuel pump tomorrow, and pull the welch plugs to clean the carb better. I also have a new fuel line and pump bulb, I think I will also replace the main jets for extra measure. Thank you for your help, this is a great thing you are doing for us do it yourselfers. Mike Nichols "

Back