Logo

Evinrude speedy 4 75hp 4cyl

T

tara fuchs

it ran 4yrs ago parked it it

it ran 4yrs ago parked it it turns over wont start no spark from spark plugs cleaned distributer up still nothing

" I have been there and had th

" I have been there and had the same experience. I am not a mechanic, but can tell you of problems with my old (mid-sixties) speedifour. It had a single coil which was bad about heating up. The coil was on the rear of the engine in a compartment of some kind so it got a lot of vibration. This heat and vibration resulted in a lot of failed coils. In the 8 or ten years I had that engine I had about the same number of coil replacements. I would at least check the coil if the points seem good.

Best regards and good luck,
Frank "

"Tara..... The points may be o

"Tara..... The points may be oxidized. Before replacing points, condenser, etc, try this:

Clean the points with either laquer thinner of acetone. Sometimes, you may need to gently run a piece of #400 sandpaper between them prior to cleaning. Set the points on the high portion of the lobe to .020.

If you have automotive ignition, check to see if you have voltage going to the (+) side of the coil.

If you have a magneto setup, temporarily remove the black kill wire from the side of the magneto. If magneto, and you have spark with that wire removed, the wire is either grounded somewhere or the ignition switch is faulty.

With the s/plugs removed, on that engine, the spark should jump a 1/4" gap on all cylinders with a strong blue flame. Use Champion J6C s/plugs with the gap set to .030.

Joe
"

Back