Logo

Hop Up for Johnson 70hp

J

J Tillman

I am asking all of you outboa

I am asking all of you outboard "gurus" out there for help. I have a 1986 70 hp 3 CYL Johnson Outboard. The Outboard was Overhauled last year. It is installed on a Carolina Skiff 19dlx. It runs about 37 to 39 with two adults. I have heard that you can "boost" the Horsepower on the outboard. Does anyone out there know how to increase the horsepower without major engine work?

You can add a turbocharger.Ju

You can add a turbocharger.Just bolt it on and away you go. There was a 75 hp model available and you might want to a look for some of the parts used.

" i have heard of people putti

" i have heard of people putting thinner reed valves on motors to get more power, i'm not so sure if you can do that with a loop charged motor though "

Reed valves have nothing to d

Reed valves have nothing to do with the scavenging method of a two stroke outboard.The reeds are the same cross-flow or loop-charged.Sad that there are people who think you can get something more out of given design of motor.

" Sparky
Engines have been &#

" Sparky
Engines have been "hopped up" since the first one was invented. Engine Designers have to balance between power and reliability. I have seen small improvements in horsepower and torque with just a jet change or timing change, but this is on 4 stroke engines. "

Back