Logo

50hp Johnson runsbut wonbt go fast

P

pos1234

" I have a 1985 VRO 50hp Johns

" I have a 1985 VRO 50hp Johnson. The VRO is disconnected and I mix oil. Last fall the motor wouldn't start and a friend of mine said a float was stuck..and fixed it. Now, it starts fine, idles great, revs in neutral...but when I put it in gear it only goes 7mph full-throttle. It still sounds like it's running fine, but just won't go fast. I checked the butterly valves on the carb and they're both opening completely at full throttle (w/o the engine running). The weird thing to me is that it will rev up high in neutral, but I'm not sure how this correlates once it's in gear. Any ideas? "

"Pos1234.... The fact that a f

"Pos1234.... The fact that a float was stuck indicates that the carburetors are clogged, fouled, and gummed. It will be necessary to remove, clean, and rebuild the carbs, Be absolutely sure to manually clean the high speed jets that are located in the center bottom portion of the float chambers. Running a engine with restricted jets results in having the engine run lean on its mixture, and will destroy the engine!

Joe
"

" it may be that the controls

" it may be that the controls are not adjusted properly, take the cover off the engine and without starting make sure the throttle is opening when in gear. "

Back