Logo

57 evinrude

R

rod448

" I'm lost! I have a 57 ev

" I'm lost! I have a 57 evinrude 2 cyl. I have changed the coils, points, wires and plugs. I have spark at both plugs but it only runs on i cyl. Any idea what to look for next?????? "

" check and make sure you are

" check and make sure you are getting the same amount of spark to each cylinder, and check compression on both cylinders. they should be within 10 to 15 psi of one another. "

compression is good in both c

compression is good in both cyl spark is good to both cyl

"Rod.... If you have good comp

"Rod.... If you have good compression and spark on both cylinders, and hopefully there are no traces of water in the problem cylinder (which cylinder?), the problem would have to be fuel related. If the carburetor (and engine of course) has been sitting for awhile, the carburetor in all probability will require cleaning.

If fuel can be detected blowing out of the front of the carburetor when the engine is running, that would indicate that a leaf plate (reed) has broken. This would allow loss of crankcase pressure and vacuum to that particular cylinder which would result in no fuel being delivered to that piston.

It's also possible that there is too much play in the armature plate (the plate that the point, coils, etc are attached to). This would allow the plate to rock when the timing is advanced which in turn allows the points to change their gap. This results in a loss of ignition to one cylinder as the timing advances. If this is the case, the cure follows below:

(Magneto Armature Plate)

If the armature plate has a a loose fitting, wobbling motion (the plate that the points, coils etc are attached to), it is usually caused by a slightly worn support ring. This allows the point setting to change erratically as the armature plate turns.

The cure is to remove the armature plate so that the support which is attached to the powerhead with 4 screws is visible. Then, with a screwdriver and hammer, or some tool of your choosing, and looking straight down at the support ring, make an indentation at what would be called the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock positions.

Install the armature plate and check for a smooth turning wobble free movement.
You may need to do that procedure a few times to obtain the proper fit (not too tight, not too loose), but it's worth the effort.

Joe
"

Back