Logo

No spark on 1969 Johnson 115hp

B

Bruce Boomgarden

" I had spark last year,but to

" I had spark last year,but towards the end of fishing season it was very hard to start. This spring I got it to fire a couple times but now I have no spark.Can't figure out what is wrong. "

"Bruce.... That engine has &#3

"Bruce.... That engine has "Battery Capacitance Discharge" ignition of which the pulsepack (powerpack) can be tested as follows. If the pack proves to be bad, I do have one new improved pack left in my remaining stock which I would discount. Hopefully though, you have a frayed wire somewhere.

(Battery Capacitance Dischage Powerpack Test)

Purchase a small 12v bulb at your local automotive parts store (the 12v bulb is to look like a flashlight bulb, not a headlight bulb). Solder two wires to that bulb, one to the side of the bulb (ground), and the other to the positive point.

Remove the spark plugs. With the key in the on position, make sure that you have 12v going to the pack at the terminal block (purple wire). Now, connect the ground wire from the bulb to any powerhead ground. Connect the wire from the positive point of that bulb to the powerpack wire that is connected to the coil wire on the terminal board (blue wire).

Crank the engine and observe that bulb closely (CLOSELY!). If that bulb glows even the slightest bit, the powerpack is okay. It may be a very dim glow... just so it glows! If it doesn't glow, the pack has failed.

Keep in mind, that type powerpack (Battery Capacitance Discharge) demands a top notch battery of at least 70 amp hours. Any less will, in time, cause powerpack failure.

[email protected]

Joe
"

Check the small red wire at t

Check the small red wire at the solenoid that feeds power to the control box. Cut the connecter off and resolder a new eye terminal.It has done the trick in the past.

" I had fraid wires that leads

" I had fraid wires that leads to distributor fixed wires,had spark.Tried to start motor wouldn't fire I checked spark again and found out I have no spark again. "

Back