Logo

Catalina risers manifolds and other cooling stuff

joe

Regular Contributor
" Croozertoo, Just finished pu

" Croozertoo, Just finished pulling the raw water and circulating water pump. Not as bad as we thought it would be. Very tight clearance, but with the thermostat housing removed, very do able without resorting to cutting the bulkhead as we discussed. Since I have most of the water side out I figured it was a good time to check the risers and manifolds and replace the gaskets between them. I have the Mercruiser log style manifolds. The bolts came out easily but I could not seperate risers from the manifolds. I tried a rubber mallet, short wood 2x4 and hammer but no dice.They would not budge. Gave up and re-torqued the bolts. Hope they make it thru the season. Any ideas? They run about $1000.00 for the complete pair new. Can't justify that kind of money on the original (1977) motor. They are 4 years old and in salt water. "

"Well, according to the expert

"Well, according to the experts, they're nearing the end of their useful life in salt water, so it's a good idea to check them out. However, if the manifolds or risers are almost rusted through, new gaskets won't help. If the gaskets weren't weeping, I'd just leave them together. If you still want to separate them, I'd use a wedge like a large screwdriver or pry-bar and gently tap it into the seam between the two pieces. You may need to use more than one wedge.

Glad to hear you're making progress!

"

Back