Logo

Universal md212 temperamental when starting

doug

" I have a universal md2-12 &#

" I have a universal md2-12 (12 hp i.e, small engine that is very temperamental when starting. When the starter button is pushed you can hear the a click (probably the starter bendix) and then nothing. If you push the button rapidly it will click several times and then the motor might start to turn over and start. When the motor is cranking (on it's way to starting) you can hear the bendix repeatedly clicking.

Seems to more of problem with only one battery vs the "both" battery switch setting. Even when batteries are on charger get same clicking on
and off.

The battery cables have a fairly long run, but the voltage test exactly the same at the engine (through sarter post (+) and engine bolt(-)) as it does at the battery. I can't really test it while the engine cranks because usually it just clicks and sits there. Is there a definitive voltage test so I could rule out the wiring, starter or solenoid? If I hook my portable 10 amp battery charger directly to the starter post and ground it to the engine block and still get a clicking does it mean it is a starter/solenoid problem?

Thanks for any help.

Doug "

You need to measure the volta

You need to measure the voltage at the battery when you are trying to crank the engine. You then need to measure the votage at the starter while trying to crank the engine. It seems you have a connection problem somewhere since it is less of an issue when on both. Measuring voltage when the system (starter)is is not in operation will tell you nothing. This test is called a voltage drop test. The result measured at the starter should be within 1/2 volt of the reading you got at the battery. If it's not you most likely have a connection concern somewhere. Make sure EVERY connection is shiny clean. It could also be the contacts inside the solenoid. If you have voltage very close to the reading at the battery you would want to look for other issues.
Try to take the voltage measurments with the starter doing the same thing. Actually cranking or just clicking.
Hope this helps
Ernie

Back