Logo

Rotary engine and Volvo 290 outdrive

C

ccridlin

" I'm repowering a 1977 Be

" I'm repowering a 1977 Bertram 26 fly bridge cruiser. Oringinally it had twin Merc 165's. In 1985 it was given twin Volvo AQ 171a's and 290 outdrives. These moters have almost 1500 hours on them and parts are expensive. 135HP Volvo's don't have enough HP to push this deep vee boat.

I am considering getting two marinized engines from Rotary Power Marine (170 HP) with the proper hardware to mount to the 290 outdrives.

How proven are the 290 outdrives? They have some signs of corrosion, but are basically in great shape. Any thoughts??? "

I'm not trying to a wise

I'm not trying to a wise a.. here but;

You have 1500 hours on the 290 drives and the AQ171's. My questions would be: How proven are the Rotary Power Marine engine ? Are the spare parts any cheaper and will they be around 1500 hrs from now ?

Karl

" mazda has supported these en

" mazda has supported these engines for a couple of decades. they had major problems solving rotor seal problems that got them a lot of bad press. under new ownership (ford) they have redesigned to clean up emissions and started putting them in cars again. they will be near top of my list come repower time because of light weight, simplicity, and low vibration. but i have a fairly light inboard jet sled. if nobody will try them we will never know. "

" Hi.
The 290 is a durable dr

" Hi.
The 290 is a durable drive like its older relatives the 280,270..etc.
As for rotary engines there might be a reason that only mazda uses them and that i an application were its main benefit is that its a diffrent type of engine. "

" I think you should renovate

" I think you should renovate the AQ171 engines. It's quite an expensive deal, but i think it's easier, faster and better than convert to other engines. And i think it also could be cheaper, IF you can do some of the work yourself.

What i heard, the mazda based engines had severe wearing problems in cars, you had to do an big overhaul after like 20000km. And putting them into a boat can't make the matter no no less important.

The parts that wear on theese AQ171 engines are:
Exchaust pipe (around 1000$), common service parts like ignition parts (cheap, can be found from cars), cam belt/tensioner (tensioner fits with a slight modification from VW Golf 2 GTI, belt from Opel Ascona Diesel pre 1979 i paid 50 for both).

I'm almost finished with my renovation of a AQ171A + 290SP combo i bought 4 weeks ago. I paid 2200 for the engine + sterndrive, and have spent 800 on parts, and overhauling the cyl. head. (had corrosion on the exchaust side, common in VP In Line 4cyl engines with alloy cyl. head).

I don't think 1500h used VOLVO car based engines are a problem, if they are maintained regularly. The biggest problem is the exchaust pipe, but the wearing on it is because of time, not usage.

I think my engine has like 100-300h on it, and after a good overhaul it ticks like a clock again. My friend had a AQ151C (same, but 8 valve) engine, with 450h on it, it was like new, smooth running, no oil leaks, and the engine oli was like new after 3 years (100h). "

"I hope you own an oil comapny

"I hope you own an oil comapny! Rotary engines are neat, and they make great power for their size (and light as well) but they are torqueless at low rpms, and a pig on gas!

Jeff"

Back