Logo

My running 4 HP johnson fell into brackish water but

M

misteradvice

" did not fall to bottom. Got

" did not fall to bottom. Got it just under the water but it stopped. Got it out and did not try to start it. Immediately pulled plugs, bowel(no water) and turned engine in ways to allow water to drain out. Pulled cord and pistons worked, sprayed WD40 in cylinders and carb. Can't seem to get a spark across plug with plug out and grounded on block. Could the magneto etc. be the problem? I then sprayed fresh water in the magneto area and drained and I am waiting for a complete dry out. Might this work? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thankx to all.
Bob "

"An engine that falls overboar

"An engine that falls overboard must either be worked on immediately and returned to running condition, or left underwater until it can be worked on. Why?... Once air hits the wet surfaces, the rusting of the bearings, cylinder walls, crankshaft begins!

Drain the water out of the carburetor. Clean the magneto points etc with laquer thinner or acetone, then blow out both with pressurized air.

Do whatever is required to get the engine running immediately or be prepared to purchase another engine.

Joe (30+Years With OMC)"

" Joe's right. Chances ar

" Joe's right. Chances are you've got a bead of water across the points which is preventing them from firing. Only way to get rid of the water is to pull the flywheel and clean the water out. Once you get the motor running, let it run for about an hour to allow it to build up heat internally and get the moisture out of it...
- Scott "

" Thank you guys, I'll let

" Thank you guys, I'll let you know. I'm praying. "

Head gasket blown. Lucky. Hop

Head gasket blown. Lucky. Hope nothing more wrong. Points looked good but no spark on 1 cyl. used an electrical spray cleaner & got spark. Will assemble and try. Cylinders look perfect. Hoping.

Fixed it. Needed to spray ele

Fixed it. Needed to spray electrical stuff on points etc. Runs very well. Thanks to all.

Back