Logo

Johnson gearcase drainfill screws

J

Johnnielund

" I have a 1990 30 hp Johnson,

" I have a 1990 30 hp Johnson, which I bought in July 2000. This motor has been converted from a short shaft to a long shaft. The slots in the drain / fill screws in the lower unit were rather beat, so I purchased 2 new screws and washers. The OMC dealer sold me one screw with a magnet on it and told me that this was the bottom screw. My parts catalog shows both screws to be the same part number, no magnet. The screw with the magnet would not go in all the way, the magnet seems to be bottoming out on something. I then bought another screw without the magnet for the bottom. I also have a 1992 15 hp Johnson. This motor has the bottom screw with the magnet. What year did OMC start using the magnet?
My parts catalog also shows two different gearcase assemblies. Part number 433431 indicates it is for all 20/25/30/35 except 15?rope start 20/25 models. Part number 433430 indicates all 20/25 15?rope start. Can anyone tell me what the difference would be, and what rope start would have to do with the gearcase. "

Back