Logo

How to remove carb varnish

M

Matt Winkler

I have a '94 60hp Johnson

I have a '94 60hp Johnson OB...it seems my problem may be narrowing down to varnish. I did not properly winterize my motor (first time boat owner). How do I go about cleaning up my carb/carbs?? Thanks for helping the ignorant!

Matt Winkler

" Matt;remove carbs,disassembl

" Matt;remove carbs,disassemble carbs,use Gumout and compressed air to clean carbs,buy carb.kits from local John/Rude dealer reassemble with new parts as per your service manual that you need to buy if you plan on working on your engine yourself. Zeke "

" I agree with zeke, no arguem

" I agree with zeke, no arguement at all, the solution is to pick up kits, a book and rebuild them - just wanted to add that carb cleaner in a spray can w/ the little tube works really well for spraying things out once you've got it apart. I like to spray it all out over a bucket and also clean the outside of the carb to keep things clean for re-assembly.

The only thing to be carefull about is that carb cleaner will destroy anything non-metallic, including paint - so, use gloves, eye protection, and get all non-metal parts out of the picture first.

Jon "

Thanks! I have ordered both

Thanks! I have ordered both a basic service manual and the model specific service manual from Johnson. I'll have to do some reading to decide whether the carbs are something I want to tackle. They cannot be much harder than a Rcohester Q-jet or a Holley 4 barrel (auto)??

Thanks again guys!
Matt

" I've never touched a Qua

" I've never touched a QuadraJet carb, but from what I've heard they are a nightmare. That said, if you've worked on those monsters and you have a good manual on hand (as you soon will), then you can tackle 2-stroke carbs without a problem. Adjustment of the float is the most critical part, and about the only thing you can screw up. Just make sure when inverted, the float is ever so slightly above parallel to the bowl. IF you've done that and cleaned all passages, you should have no problems. I had never worked on an outboard either, but I cleaned and rebuilt my carbs without a hitch.

There many, many, many (you get the idea) threads on this forum with questions and answers about carb cleaning. Joe Reeves and JupiterZeke have provided excellent, detailed answers to these questions and should be a good roadmap for you. Click on the Keyword search on the left of this page and search for carb cleaning. I think just about every combination of questions about carbs has been addressed at some point.

Good luck. "

i just learned to do a carb r

i just learned to do a carb rebuild in school..it sounds like a piece of cake.

Back