Logo

Question for Joe Reeves

steveragan

" Joe,
This spring I had to

" Joe,
This spring I had to purchase a new vro pump for a 1986 40 HP johnson. I had to change over from a three wire plug to a four wire plug. I have the new pump in and everything hooked back up but I don't know what to do with the purple wire. The repair manual I have does not do a very good job explaining what to do with it.
I would also like to know how to check my warning horns but I can't seem to find them and my book doesn't talk about them at all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Steve Ragan "

"Steve.... That purple wire le

"Steve.... That purple wire leading from the new four (4) wire VRO must be connected to a 12 volt source that is active only when the ignition key is turned to the on position.

To my knowledge, that connection does not exist on the electrical terminal board at the engine on that 40hp model. If this is the case, you will need to run a wire from the control box or console area. If you're using a tachometer, there will be purple wire leading to it that is only active when the key is in the on position and you can connect to that.

The horn, if it is the newer type plastic horn that has two connection terminals and a built in black ground wire, should beep momentarily when you turn the key on. To test the horn, turn the key on, then find the tan heat sensor at the engine cylinder head and ground it out. That will complete the horn wiring circuit and the horn should sound.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Joe,

In the main wiring

" Joe,

In the main wiring harness connector/ the red plug there is a purple wire coming in from the ignition and a purple/white wire going to a box on the other side of the power head that box has a red switch on it. Can you tell me what that box is for? If I can splice into the purple wire, do I do it before or after the main red plug, or does it make a difference?
Thanks again for all of your help!
Steve R. "

"Steve.... The "box" y

"Steve.... The "box" you speak of that has a purple/white wire, which also has a red "toggle swing" type switch (lever) on it is a primer solenoid. You can look at it as being a choke replacement. When you push the key in, that primer solenoid will allow the fuel/oil mixture to shoot in via a small hose to the intake manifold area.

The purple wire that leads to the new VRO pump must be connected to a lead that emits twelve volts (12v) BUT ONLY WHEN THE IGNITION KEY IS IN THE "ON" POSITION. You DO NOT want voltage going to the VRO when the ignition key is in the OFF position. Re-read my previous reply.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" have a 1983 125hp. evinrude,

" have a 1983 125hp. evinrude, problem starting, need info. on repairing timing, can anyone help? "

Rickey Dean;Are you sure abou

Rickey Dean;Are you sure about the year? What is the model number? Evinrude did NOT have a 125hp in 1983 only in 1971 & 1972 and later commercial/export outboards had a 125hp engine and they are VERY different engines. Zeke

Back