Logo

No Feedback Steering %24%24%24

coolhand

" I have a 19 ft bayliner with

" I have a 19 ft bayliner with OB. I really have to muscle it to drive and my wife is the only other driver, it pretty much takes all she's got to hold the wheel or steer while I'm skiing. Is NFB Steering worth the money? "

" Coolhand;Why don't you t

" Coolhand;Why don't you try adjusting the trim tab on the gearcase just aft and above the prop,if it pulls to the right move it to the right,pulls left move it left.Steering torque is also effected by trim angle,too much negative trim will cause pull to the right also. "

Coolhand....zeke is right and

Coolhand....zeke is right and NFB steering is better than the standard type but have you considered hydraulic steering?? This will make steering a breeze.

" I have adjusted the trim tab

" I have adjusted the trim tab but I couldn't tell ANY difference. This boat doesn't drift to the right it pulls! You gotta hold constant pressure on the wheel, heaven forbid you let go of it!!! I figured I could handle replacing the steering cable. How big of a job is a hydraulic steering swap over???? "

" coolhand,

NFB st

" coolhand,

NFB steering really isn't much extra $$, when compared to buying a new system. Hydraulic is much more, but you do get what you pay for.. As far as what you need - it depends on the boat and engine package & it's different for every one. W/ my 115 and a 21 aluminum - the standard NFB 4.2 rotary works perfectly, very little effort to steer, regardless of the trim tab setting. Hydraulic on my boat would just be a waste of $$, it's effortless allready. A friend of mine has an 18 ft glass boat w/ a 115 & he really needs hyrdraulic..

So, in the end, do what you think is best & can afford, but here's my .02. If it's not that hard to steer, but the pulling is what bothers you, get the NFB 4.2 rack pinion or rotary cable setup - either are in the $200 range for a kit. NFB will hold the engine exactly where you leave it, so it will track straight & will not put force back on the wheel.

If it's a boar to steer & you can afford it - get the hydraulic & you certainly will know where the $$ went.

Jon "

Back