Logo

CARBS STILL LEAKING GAS

R

ralphy

" I just replaced all gaskets

" I just replaced all gaskets floats and seals on my 150 hp johnson 1989, I adjusted the floats after Joes advice but when I started the motor the carbs began leaking when I primed and cranked,It started with a couple of backfires and ran rough but stopped leaking when it was running.When I stopped the motor gas seaps out the troats and out the top middle vent holes. Whats causing this?
Please help, im pulling my hair out!

Thanks "

" Ralphy;Look at your float bo

" Ralphy;Look at your float bowls with a straight edge and see if they are warped,if yes replace them.Are you using the brown 'Viton' rubber bowl gaskets?? Zeke "

" Yes,jupiterzeke, im got omc

" Yes,jupiterzeke, im got omc carb kits complete with floats and they contained the tan rubber seals, there were also alot of small parts left over! was this normal, stuff like smallblack seals. "

Ralphy;As that kit fit all cr

Ralphy;As that kit fit all cross flow V-4 and V-6 engines you will have parts left over.Did you check for warped float bowls? Plastic float bowls were famous for warping!Zeke

" Jupiterzeke; the carbs are a

" Jupiterzeke; the carbs are aluminium and there are no signs of warping,in fact the carbs are leaking through the troats and not from around the bowls,its as if when your cranking its giving it too much petrol than it can take? The only thing i can think of is that i connected the pipes for the bleed nipples wrong! could this be the cause? "

"Ralphy... did you ever figure

"Ralphy... did you ever figure this out ? My 90 EVRINRUDE does the same damn thing. the vro was bypassed by someone else and they put a elect fuel pump at the tank to deliver gas.. I think its pushing too much gas.. it smokes and runs like hell at idle. @ wide open, no prob.. please forward anything helpful to [email protected]

Thanks !"

The 90 VRO can be used as a f

The 90 VRO can be used as a fuel pump only or it is an easy conversion to the older pump( pre 84 ) the spot to mount the older pump will be on the manifold.

Back