Logo

1973 135 HP Evinrude Pistons

dave

Contributing Member
" What is the differance betwe

" What is the differance between a 1973 135 HP Evinrude from 1974 and up motors? I am having a hard time finding pistons for this motor and was told by a hesitent parts man that 1974 pistons "should work". When I tore the power head down it appeared to be just plain wore out, it will take a .064 overbore to correct. The thing that bothered me was there were chunks of piston missing between the rings on all of them and a partial melt down on top of one piston. What caused them to break up like that and how could I prevent it from happening again? I just bought this motor so I don't know the history on it.

Thanks for any info you can give me. "

" Dave;If memory serves,in 197

" Dave;If memory serves,in 1974 Evinrude went to a bigger wrist pin and moved it slightly and are not interchangeable.If you bore .064 o/s you won't have enough sleeve to hold a gasket.What caused your "meltdown";low octane gas or lugging or running out of time or too lean or a combination of any of the above.Time for a newer engine!Evinrude offers +.030o/s pistons p/n 385570 for $111.95 each ringset p/n 396504 .030o/s for $27.95.Your motor isn't worth that after you get it running !!! "

1973 was the " oddball ye

1973 was the " oddball year" no internal parts from 72 fit and no internal parts from 74 will fit. The 74 however uses the same pistons as some v4 engines into the 90's. It might be time to shop for a motor.

Back