Logo

1985 Johnson 90 boggs down amp dies

wheels

I have a 1985 90HP Johnson th

I have a 1985 90HP Johnson that is giving me some problems. After running at full throttle for several minutes the engine will quickly bogg down and stall. Then the engine won't start up again until waiting for several minutes (almost as if something has to cool down???). Pushing in the key for the primer solenoid does nothing to help when the engine is bogging dawn and about to stall.

Compression is good (105 - 115) on all cylinders and I have a strong spark at all cylinders. Carbs have been recently cleaned & rebuilt.

Wheels;Is the engine overheat

Wheels;Is the engine overheating? IF not you probably have a stator failing.Did you try a seperate fuel tank?Squeezing the primer bulb as it's dying? Zeke

" Thanks for your replies.

" Thanks for your replies.

The overheating alarm is not sounding, and last time I checked the alarm was functional. I tried to test the stator last night. I got 0.6 ohms across the yellow and yellow & gray wire, and neither wire was shorted to ground. I found this test in my repair manual, is there any other test that I can perform on the stator?

I will try a new fuel tank and to squeeze the primer next chance that I have to get on the water. "

Back