Logo

2001 Johnson Outboard 225 hp carberated two stroke

P

Phil Leeds

" I winterized last year accor

" I winterized last year according to owner's manual. Last week, I fired up the motor with the usual smoke from the fogging oil. After 15 minutes, motor exhaust still smoked excessively. I ran the motor for 10 minutes at WOT to be sure fogging oil was gone. Max RPM's are down from last year to 5100. Normally runs 5750 max. Motor will not idle, needs about 2000 rpms to stay running or will gradually stall out with excess exhaust smoke. Things improved some with new plugs but still does not idle and requires max throttle position to acheive a difficult start. also, new gas has been added with no help. Your assistance please "

"Phil.... Check the compressio

"Phil.... Check the compression, should be in the 100 psi range and even on all cylinders. Then rig up some kind of spark tester to check the spark which should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue flame on all cylinders.

NOTE.... when you remove the s/plugs, take notice of their appearance. Do they all look the same or does one look different? The rpm drop of 650 rpms might indicate that the engine is running on five (5) cylinders.

If the above checks out okay, and the engine ran fine at the end of last season, I would suspect that you have a carburetor fouled or/and flooding. Remove the carburetor face plate and then pump the fuel primer bulb while looking at the carburetor throats. If fuel flows out any of the carburetors, they will require cleaning.

To check to see if a carb might be fouled, with the engine running at idle, stick two fingers into the carb throats (one carb at a time). If the rpms increase, that particular carb will require cleaning.

Joe
"

Back