Logo

Questions about a 1985 Evinrude 2hp

M

Matt T.

" First off, this is a great b

" First off, this is a great board and I've learned a ton in the last week after having bought my first outboard: a small (2hp), old (1985) Evinrude. Thanks for all of your expertise.

The previous owner let it sit over the winter with some gas left in it and it wouldn't start. I emptied the tank, sprayed carb cleaner into the carb, replaced the old spark plug, put in fresh gas with Redline Watercraft 2-stroke oil (50:1) and it seems to run pretty well. There don't appear to be any leaks from the carb.

I don't have an owners manual yet and am not familiar with lower units so I had a few questions...

1. From researching, bigger LU's have two plugs which are used to drain and fill to the correct level. This litte LU only has one. How much oil do I put in (X ounces, stand motor up and squeeze in until it overflows, ...)?

2. The fluid I drained from the LU was a little milky. I don't know how long it had been in there. Should I just refill and monitor the fluid for a while or is it urgent that I rebuild it?

3. What do you guys think of synthetic fluids? I know there's recommendations for the Wal Mart HiVis and the manufacturer oils. Supposedly newer synthetics are better at not shrinking seals like the older synthetics. I'm not really looking for noticeably improved performance, although less smoke from any 2-stroke is a good thing. With the tiny amount of fluids this thing uses, the cost difference is negligible to me.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Matt "

Matt;Lay the little motor on

Matt;Lay the little motor on its side and fill the gearcase.Best advice is ALWAYS use what the manufacturer recommends.Evinrude/Johnson ULTRA HPF is what to use in the gearcase.Evinrude FICHT RAM oil is currently best for your little motor.Some brand X gearlubes will turn milky without any H2O in them.That little motor likes mid-grade gas best.Good luck! Zeke

" I've owned & used a

" I've owned & used a '74 Johnson (basically same engine as yours)for over 20 years and they are great little motors. I have used Dextron transmission fluid changed annually and never had a problem. The fluid in mine is also milky when I change it but seems to be fine. What I recently learned (thanks to the guys on this site)is that the lower end comes off very easily and the impeller is a snap to change yourself (about $10.) Once apart, you can clean it out nicely (all the drain holes and water intake tube). Check out some other advice further down this site re: 1972 Evinrude heating up. Good advice from some other guys, and I learned something too. "

Back