Logo

Leaking heat exchanger

P

poboy

"just finished engine and hull

"just finished engine and hull survey as well as sea trial on an '84 Silverton 34 Convertible. Lots of little issues, but only one major mechanical hitch - the starboard heat exchanger has both internal and external leaks. Seawater has entered the closed circuit fresh water system and the tank is leaking (spraying). Have no idea how long the fresh water system has been compromised, but the engine ran out fine, compression on the low side, but within specs (110 to 120). Obviously the exchanger must be replaced, but am wondering how concerned I should be over the block and manifold cooling passages being exposed to saltwater. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Paul"

"I would not be too concerned.

"I would not be too concerned. The exchanger can not have been leaking for any time at all. The closed side of the system runs higher pressure than the raw side, therefore every time the engine was run, it would push more and more coolant from the system and replace it with seawater when the system cools off.

It would not take long before all of the coolant was gone. Even if the entire system was filled with salt water, short of freezing, short term, it really wouldn't hurt anything.

This type of leak is usually an indicating of freezing. If it ran good and has no oil or trans fluid contamination you should be good.

Good luck,
Rick"

"Thanks for the reply, Rick. Y

"Thanks for the reply, Rick. Your comments echo what I was thinking."

Back