Logo

Evinrude trim tilt probs

craigathome

"Hi all I’m having prob's

"Hi all I’m having prob's with my trim tilt on 70 hp 1993 Evinrude. I seam to have no power to the pump. I can here the solenoids click when i use the switch ether at the motor or at the control but no action at the pump
I have changed the solenoids and this made no change. I was wondering if there was a fuse I was missing or something. Mysteriously the rpm taco has stoped also I don’t know if this is related or just coincidental. I am not someone who likes to send my boat strait to the mechanics. I have found you learn a lot about your boat by researching you problems and attempting them yourself besides I haven’t seen a boat mechanic any ware between the boat harbour and my favourite fishing hole. Any help would be appreciated
thank you Craig.
62679.jpg
"

"Follow the cable from the mot

"Follow the cable from the motor back to the relay box. Unplug the cable. Using jumper clips, connect the motor to 12V directly & see if it runs. Two most likely issues would be corroded connection, or corroded connection! (Motors seem to last a long time)"

"I have power to this conectio

"I have power to this conection a reading of 12.32 on the meter when I engage the switch.I am thinking that this is the power to the pump. where to from here ?
70442.jpg
"

"try this---------> with

"try this---------> with elect motor wires disc at eng, conn 12V to one wire in conn,and grnd the other wire in conn,then reverse wires and try.This test,tests the motor,alone."

"If the wires leading to the P

"If the wires leading to the PTT electric motor are but two (2) wires, one green, one blue, that indicates that the PTT electric motor is a dual polarity motor, meaning that if voltage is thrown to those two wires leading to the electric motor, it will run in one direction. Reversing the voltage (battery wires to the electric motor) will cause it to run in the opposite direction.

If running two wires from the battery results in absolutely no electrical motor action, or you encounter heavy sparking (a short), I would assume the electric motor is faulty.

If on the other hand, the electric motor runs in one direction, it's guaranteed that it will run in the opposite direction.... and if this is the case, then obviously the problem is elsewhere.

The above assumes that the electric motor is as mentioned above a dual polarity electric motor.

Let us know what you find."

"hay guys i did try your sugge

"hay guys i did try your suggestion I conn 12v direct from battery, and then in reverse, nothing. where i have put the arrows in the picture indicate where i connected the wires.it may be the pump............
70509.jpg
"

"Thank you for all of your hel

"Thank you for all of your help, I went further and pulled the whole trim tilt unit out, put it on the work bench and found a small nick in one of the power wires running to the pump. When I cut the wire I found it was copper and had corroded. On closer inspection I found that the corrosion had tracked all the way to the electric motor on the pump, so took it apart finding the wire attached to one of the brushes on the electric motor. Ore should I say use to attach to one of the brushes it was corroded off.
Look’s like I”LL be fishing over Easter…..
Cheers for the help
Craig."

Back