Logo

Spark plugs and VRO

kid_ray

"Guys, what does a non-resisto

"Guys, what does a non-resistor spark plug do to the VRO?

I have a '92, 90hp e'rude with VRO and am running L77CJ4 plugs, which my service manual lists as an alternate plug... are they going to damage the VRO??

Oh, also my dealer recommended I run these instead of QL77CJ4, but the consensus here is the opposite...

thanks,
Ray"

"The practical difference for

"The practical difference for You will only be the price, on the engine ill will not influence anything.
However for the people trying to watch TV as You pass by, the might think there is a snow storm going on outside!
The 'Q' is for reducing interference from Your ign system. In quite some countries it is illegal to use the non 'Q' plugs, check how it is in Your area!
Police might not be happy if they get Your engine as an acoustic revcounter in their radios!"

"Ray,

I think you would not

"Ray,

I think you would notice that the "Q" plugs last quite a bit longer also. This is true of any suppressor/resistor type plug.

Topny"

"The RF noise interference is

"The RF noise interference is well known in the 90's and up eng's as the ignitions became more complicated,as well as the VRO electronics.It also interfere's w/todays fishfinders,marine radios,and am/fm stereo's in boats.The correct plugs,for the engine's ignition system, etc,is always the best route to go.There again,in the 90's this became even more important,than in the 80's."

"Tony and Kid, Those plugs ca

"Tony and Kid, Those plugs can be had at many auto parts places. I paid $1.98/plug for some Ql78YC plugs at my local AutoZone. The L77CJ4 are availible at my Wallyworld for $1.50"

"thanks all.!

The problem

"thanks all.!

The problem is not availability or price of the "Q" plugs, I'm just confused from the different opinions about their use... and the fact my dealer recommended the "L" plugs.

The motor is running great with the 'L's" but my concern is possible damage to the VRO.

---
Ray"

The VRO is driven by crankcase

The VRO is driven by crankcase pressure pulses and is not connected / influenced by ignition in any way.

Back