Logo

Idle problem

"Hello all,

I have an OMC 5

"Hello all,

I have an OMC 5.7 cobra. It was originally a 5.0 but somewhere before me the engine was replaced with a 91 chevy 5.7 engine out of a van. I did tons of work on this undoing what the previous owner did to it and finally got it running (without sinking). i'm having problems getting it to idle, I can start it in my driveway with the muffs on but when I get under way out on the water, it runs great until I stop, it stalls instead of slowing down to an idle, it eventually starts again after several tries. I tried turning the idle up and it broke the shifter cable because of trying to shift with the engine running too high (I read all about that here too). I'm not really that good at tuning engines, but i'm a really a good mechanic, I just need direction (does that make sense?) I don't really know where to start, can you guys give me some items to look for?"

"The shift assist system is no

"The shift assist system is not working properly or the shift cables are out of ajustment. The reason it is working on the muffs is because there is no tork on the prop. sitting in the driveway. Go to this web site read it carefully.
www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/index.html get a OMC service manual not a after market one. Good luck.
John"

Back