Logo

Carb varnish

harry

" Been reading alot of entries

" Been reading alot of entries about carb varnish and was wondering if owners are running the carbs dry after flushing?I've had several boats that when I was through using them I would run the carbs dry after the flushing was complete and never had problems with varnish build up.Some of the engines were the older 26 to 1 mixtures and I had a later 50 to 1 engine that I did not run the carbs dry and had varnish build up several times,was just wondering if running the carbs dry is the way to minimize buildup and if it hurts the engines to do this. "

"Harry.... If the engine has o

"Harry.... If the engine has only one carburetor, you can feel pretty safe in running the engine dry of fuel.

However, when a engine has two or more carburetors, and one runs the engine dry of fuel, the top carburetor will run out of fuel first due to gravity if nothing else. The engine will then continue to run on the remaining carburetors. This allows at least one aluminum piston to run up and down a steel cylinder wall with improper (or no) lubrication. Really not a good idea. It's more reasonable to rebuild carburetors than to rebuild the powerhead.

Joe
"

Harry;Without question the be

Harry;Without question the best way to stop carb varnish is to treat the fuel as per the factory instructions in your owners manual!! Zeke

Back