Logo

AQ D40A converting to AQ AD 40B

janko

"Maybe someone have some exper

"Maybe someone have some experience with upgrading D40A to AD40B? I have twin D40A with 280B legs on Coronet 32 Deep sea 1978, six tons of weight. On 3200 rpm I achieved only 16 knots I think this is a half glidding. So I want to upgrade engines to have more power and change legs to VP duoprops with gear ratio 1,78 :1 or 1,95:1, to achieve at least 20 knots. Please someone to suggest me if I am on right way. I need spares for upgrading! Thanks very much for any answer!!"

"I doubt that is 'possible

"I doubt that is 'possible'. When the AD and TAMD were introduced the block itself was reinforced to handle the extra power. I think Yours are too old, but check with a Volvo Penta dealer and give the engine serial number and he may verify for You."

"I have spare parts catalogue

"I have spare parts catalogue for both engines and there the blocks have same part numbers. That is 1545051. Beside this numbers AD 40 block have another Pnumber which can substite for 1545051 and is 1542463. From that I understand that in beggining of production of AD40 both engines have the same block. I already ask Volvo dealer here in my country what is the difference between block PN 1545051 and PN 1542463 but he could not answer me. Maybe you know who can answer me this question.
I want to find out my engines serial numbers. On my engine yellow plates bellow diesel pump, I have just four numbers. On the block (beveled out)I have numbers 1000289. Maybe I must combine this numbers on the block with numbers on the small yellow plate to get correct Volvo serial number for that engine or what? I think that just four numbers on plate is not complete volvo serial number.
So, how you write, maybe Volvo makes improvements to block for 35 HP stronger engine, but I wonder to know if this was just to make some cosmetics, or realy make some reinforcement and my old block will crack into pieces if I squeze out of engine 35 more HP on same engine revs, after adding aftercooler.
Maybe you know where I can write email with my question and serial numbers of my engines to get qualified answer?

Kind regards!
Janez"

"It was no cosmetic change, it

"It was no cosmetic change, it was reinforcements.
Give the number from the yellow brass tag to a dealer/didtributor, and he should be able to tell if You have the old or reinforced block. My guess is that You have the old one. I was working for penta in Sweeden testing the AD40 before it was released early 1980's, and I think they changed to AqAD40B with the new block. However You may change the lower unit of the leg to a duo-prop."

Back