Logo

TorqueShift Prop Anyone

rod_stewart

Outstanding Contributor
"Just wondering if anyone has

"Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Torque-Shift props on a V-8 Alpha drive I/O.
I am thinking to try one out, but if it's a bad idea I will forget it.
Thanks,
Rod"

"Anytime you have the oppurtun

"Anytime you have the oppurtunity to "try out" a prop without having to purchase it first, you can learn something and a very wise man once told me "never stop learning".

I had sucess with these props when they first came out but have been out of small boats so long I didn't realize they still made them. You can alawys tell when they are working properly cause they sound like an old powerglide whan they shift. That's for those of you old enough to remember what that is.

They used to have a max. hp limit, but that may no longer be the case. If you have the chance to run one, do it. Let us know how it works."

"I've been running 1 for 4

"I've been running 1 for 4 or 5 years now, on my 4.3LX, Alpha driven Starcraft 221 Islander.....

It's the Best money I've ever spent on my boat....

It takes aittle bit of Tuning to get it where You want it,....
And,.. The fact that L&S doesn't support them, or sell them anymore is abit disheartening....
But, I've bee buying them up, as I find them.....

I'd say Go for It......"

"Thanks Rick & Bondo.
So

"Thanks Rick & Bondo.
So that explains why I can't find these props on the L&S site. All they have is parts for them. Wonder why they stopped making them?
I messed with one about 10 years ago on a heavy old Webbcraft with an 898 I/O, and it worked well, then I sold the boat and moved on. Forgot all about them til now.
Bondo, you say you have been buying them up as you find them; do you have a line on where a guy might find one now?
Thanks guys,
Rod"

"Bondo and Rick, Mercury Mari

"Bondo and Rick, Mercury Marine used to sell them under the Power2 name. Do they still? I remember that they were $1K plus to buy."

"[b]"Bondo, you say you ha

""Bondo, you say you have been buying them up as you find them; do you have a line on where a guy might find one now? "

Unfortunately,...... If I tell ya,...... I'd have ta Kill ya...................

It's just a matter of keeping my Eyes Open,+ putting the Word Out......

I hear that the foundry L&S was contracted to Burnt,+ is not being rebuilt,......
Just a Rumor though.....

As far as I know,.....
There has been 3 different shifting props,....

The Torque-Shift, which is a progressive shift, from a lower pitch up to a settable higher pitch,.....

Then there's the Mercury version,+ the Aero-Marine prop, both of which were 2 speed props, a low gear,+ a high gear,... Not progressive.....
Somewhat adjustable, but need a tear-down,+ swap of parts to change the pitches, Vs. the turn of a few set-screws on the Torque-Shifts.....

I believe All 3 different 1s went for Over a Grand, New......."

"Thanks again Rick for the lea

"Thanks again Rick for the lead.
Bondo, your 4.3 LX is a weber 4 bbl carb, I am guessing. Have you ever had cold start issues with it, after a few days layup, like myself and so many others on this site have had with the 4.3?
Rod"

"Ayuh,.......

And,..... No,

"Ayuh,.......

And,..... No, I haven't taken the time to Deal with it....."

"Bondo, if you are interested,

"Bondo, if you are interested, last fall I fixed this persistent problem with my 1996 4.3LX once and for all, using the advice of many helpful folks on this site. The fix is covered in my post of Oct 10, 2006 titled "UPDATE-4.3LX Cold Start Problem; Fixed". Started like a dam afterwards.
Good luck,
Rod"

"Thanks Rod,.....
When I have

"Thanks Rod,.....
When I have a minute,.... I'll search it Up,+ have a Look......"

Back