Logo

Ignition Problems

waterboy

"I am having an issue with my

"I am having an issue with my I/O 898 Mercruiser. When I turn the key to the 'on' position, the starter cranks intermittently. Turning the key to 'start' does nothing. I pulled the starter to find the top 1/8" of the starter gear (Delco Remy) worn off and the tops of each tooth mushroomed. Most likely from the starter cranking when the engine was running (and the reason it wont' start anymore).

Who I bought it from put in a new shifter but did not hook up the wiring (starter cut off, on/off switch). Could this be part of the problem?

I bench tested the starter and it works fine. I'm going to get a new ignition switch this week and will post results."

Ignition switch is first thing

Ignition switch is first thing I'd suspect. Could be checked with a multimeter.

Some wear on the starter pinion and ring gear on the flywheel is nearly always the case. Depending of course on the level of severity.

"O Boy does this bring back me

"O Boy does this bring back memories of last summer. I had an intermittant starting problem and to make a long and $$$$ story short....bad erratic keyswitch. If I turned it really hard the starter would engage and then act like it did not have the current to turn the engine over. New battery, cables, solenoids, starter...etc. Finally put a temporary push button on solenoid and it started every time. The key switch would work if you did not turn it real hard all the way. Took over a month to finally realize what was happening. Very intermittant and hard to diagnose."

Back