Logo

Volvo penta hoses

bcamel

"I have been busting the hoses

"I have been busting the hoses coming off of the thermostat housing. I was told that I need to change the housing, is this the problem."

"The difference is that every

"The difference is that every effect has a cause, and to make a diagnostic one needs to know what kind of equipment we are talking about.

To me, other than using the wrong material, thermostat hoses can blow either due to old age or due to overpressure. The former can happen on either type of cooling system, but overpressure is not common in fresh water cooled engines, because the corrosion inhibitors added to the coolant make blockages of cooling passages virtually impossible. On the other hand, corrosion is frequent in raw water cooled engines; mostly in exhaust manifolds and risers.

If we were talking about say a V-8 GM raw-water cooled engine, and assuming that the hoses are new and of the correct rating for the job, I would check that there are no obstructions in the exhaust manifolds water inlet, and also that the water passages between the manifolds and risers are clear."

It is a 3.0 135hp 2000 volvo p

It is a 3.0 135hp 2000 volvo penta. I have put new hoses on. The one I blew this week was only a week old.

"Which hose is the one that bl

"Which hose is the one that blew?

62519.jpg
"

"I would remove the thermostat

"I would remove the thermostat housing and inspect it for blockage, and in the interim check the condition of the thermostat. But most important, I would make sure that the exhaust manifold and riser are clear. If you have never "boiled" the manifold and riser and they are old, chances are they have restricted water passages due to corrosion. Either a blocked thermosthat housing or manifold/riser water passages can create sufficient back pressure to make the hoses blow (remember that the raw water pump is of the positive displacement type)"

Does water always pass through

Does water always pass through the thermostat or does it sometimes close all the way? If it does how does water get out of the motor if it is shut?

"Water only passes through the

"Water only passes through the thermostat when the temperature of the water circulating through the block has increased sufficiently to make the thermostat to open. While the thermostat is fully closed, the raw water passes through a by-pass channel and leaves the thermostat housing without cooling the engine."

Back