Logo

Engine oil

narcosis

"I have just had a pair of 79

"I have just had a pair of 79 Chrysler 360 marine engines totally rebuilt. New heads, cam, pistons,timing chains,bearings,ect. I am now getting close to reinstalling them. I am looking for pros and cons of using synthetic vs. non-synthetic engine oil in these "new" engines. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated"

"Many of the properties of syn

"Many of the properties of synthetic oil are of no real advatage to recipriocating engines. Synthetic claims to suppend contaminents longer than petroleum oil but that is of slim if any value. With modern oils, now up to API rating of API-SM, and changing oil regularly, engines can last 30 years. Be sure to stay within guidelines of oil viscosity (weight) recommended by the manufacturer. Modern oils contain a complex package of additives so introducing another additive can do more harm than good."

absolutely do not use syntheti

absolutely do not use synthetic in an engine that is not broken in. get Your opinions and decide what You want to do later.

A rebuilt '79 Chrysler 360

A rebuilt '79 Chrysler 360 is not a new engine. I wouldnt use a synthetic oil in a motor that old. Running good quality non synthetic 20W50 in it will keep it good for years.

As long as you change the oil and filter regularly.

Back