Logo

Lower unitalpha1

I replaced my water pump and w

I replaced my water pump and when i put everything back together. I am unable to shift into reverse. so i lowered the unit again now i can only partly get into reverse... i have no problem with forward and neutral... When i turn the prop i hear a clicking like it is notengaging all the way.. Is there any easy fix for this??????? Thanx

"The shift shaft that you have

"The shift shaft that you have to link up actually turns very little clockwise or counterclockwise. You must have it yoked up properly to get the right amount of equal movement. First be sure the shift control is in forward, (this should be done when starting). Now turn the shift shaft sticking up in front of the water pump to the forward position. I believe this is fully counterclockwise. Now put the lower unit back on and it should work. If you have shifted the outdrive without the engine running you can bend parts in the gearcase. Never force it into gear. If the engine is not running then turn the prop shaft slowly as you shift and it will go into gear. This is also the way you would get it to shift if the lower unit is removed."

I did not force the shifter wh

I did not force the shifter when i felt ressistance going into reverse i lowered the unit down and the with the unit lowererd i was able to move the shifter freely. then when i moved the unit up it did noit shift freely. so i left it in forward and posted the question. Thanks i will try what you said

"wen- if you have it in revers

"wen- if you have it in reverse, you hear the clicking when you rotate the prop in the normal reverse direction, right? That's normal. The clutch dogs and more or less triangular and don't engage in forward. As Ken said, the shaft rotates very little but I disagree that parts will bend- they're too hard to bend manually unless you partially assemble it and then tighten the nuts while it's out of position. You could, however, break the top of the shift crank but I doubt that unless you gave it a really hard impact with something.

The trick is in keeping the lower gear case in forward when you reinstall it. There's a tool that allows you to rotate the propshaft to align the driveshaft splines (by rotating the propshaft in reverse) and the shift needs to be in forward, too. If your lower unit has a small shaft with splines for shifting, it's the Gen I and has a plastic water pump housing, right? If you have the metal housing, you definitely need to shift into forward to reassemble."

"I personally like metal pump

"I personally like metal pump housings more than plastic but both versions work well. It's necessary to know the Gen number in order to give the right info. Basically, they're the same but the differences make some parts incompatible (shift shaft, water pump, water tube, drive shaft- IIRC and some others)."

How do I go about changing the

How do I go about changing the outer and inner seals on the Alpha One prop shaft?
Any info would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

Back