Logo

1959 JOHNSON SEAHORSE 50HP CARB PROBLEMS

matthew

I HAVE A 1959 JOHNSON SEA HOR

I HAVE A 1959 JOHNSON SEA HORSE 50HP I HAVE TAKEN APART THE CARB AND DONT KNOW THE SETTINGS FOR IT. PLEASE HELP ME!

"Matthew..... Float setting wo

"Matthew..... Float setting would be: Holding the carburetor upper body upside down, adjust the float so that the end opposite the hinge pin is ever so slightly higher (off level), very slightly.

The adjustments of the carb are as follows:

(Carburetor Adjustments - Older V/4 Downdraft Carb)

NOTE: The early model downdraft carburetors incorporated "Adjustable High Speed Jets". The later model downdraft carburetors used "Fixed High Speed Jets". Follow the below instructions accordingly. If you do not have adjustable high speed jets, ignore those paragraphs pertaining to same.

Lift the center High Speed Control lever and turn it so that the point faces forward, resting on the high ridge. This will disengage the lever control gear from the individual high speed jets (slots). Have the slow speed needle valve knobs installed upside down so that they can be turned without encountering any obstruction.

Gently seat each of the High Speed needle valves, then back each one out one (1) turn. Gently seat each of the Slow Speed needle valves, then back each one out one and one half (1-1/2) turns. NOTE... have the jam nut on the s/speed needles snug so that viberation won't have any effect on them, but loose enough so that you can turn them without a great amout of effort.

(High Speed)
With a reliable person at the wheel, and one kneeling in front of the engine, start the engine (yes, it will run lousy with the above initial needle valve settings), put it into forward gear, and apply full throttle. Start with the High Speed adjustment on the left using a screwdrive that properly fits the slot.

(High Speed Adjustments)
At full throttle, with the proper size screwdriver, slowly start turning one of the H/S needles in segments of 1/8 turn, waiting momentarily for the engine to respond, then repeat turning. You will reach a point where the engine will start to die out. At that point, back that needle valve out approximately 1/4 turn. Now, go to the other High Speed needle valve and repeat that procedure. At some point in that 1/4 turn out, you will find the smoothest high speed setting (you can now lower the throttle rpm). That will have both high speed needle valves set correctly, and at that point you can lift that center lever adjustment of that high ridge, keeping it lifted until the point is facing the engine, then lower it into its proper position. (When you turn that lever now, you're adjusting both High Speed needle valves at the same time.)

(Slow Speed Adjustments)
Now, lowering the rpms of course, take the engine out of gear and set the throttle just to where the engine will stay running. Again, in segments of 1/8 turn, slowly start turning in one of the slow speed needle valves, waiting a few seconds between each turning for the engine to respond. As you turn the s/speed needles in, the rpms will increase..... and as it does, lower the rpms to where the engine will just stay running (otherwise the rpms will climb quite high). You will reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mjild backfire). At that point, back the needle valve out 1/4 turn. Repeat the process with the remaining slow speed needle. Again, at some point in that 1/4 turn out, you will find the smoothest setting. When finished, tighten the jam nut somewhat, then remove and reinstall the s/speed knobs correctly (right side up).

Joe
"

" Matthew;Do your self ,and ev

" Matthew;Do your self ,and everyone else who lives on this planet, a BIG favor and make a mailbox or lawn decoration out of that motor.It was a HORRIBLE engine,it dumped about a quart of fuel at 24:1 in the water for every 6gallons that went thru it,and it took 28 minutes to go thru 6 gallons.Zeke "

" joereeves thanks for all of

" joereeves thanks for all of the info but the motor wont even start it trys but then it dies. I have great compression, and spark i just cant get it to stay running. thanks again for all of the help. do you have a web site? "

Back