Logo

50 gxi vs 57 gxi

pm92372

I recently had the misfortune

I recently had the misfortune of losing my 5.0 gxi to non winterizing. O.K I`m over that pain. I have a brand new 5.7 long block on the way. I`m am told that I will need to have the E.C.M. recalibrated to adjust to the 5.7. Is there any other issues someone may know about prior to installation. I have had enough surprises
Thanks..

"It can be done , swaping out

"It can be done , swaping out the efi & elec iginition between a 5. lt to a 5.7 but make sure the cam in the long block is ground to vovlo specs.or the ECM will be confused.Also as a Volvo mechanic I have never heard of a recalibrition on the unit. Automotive (GM)tools will not work. completly different pirameters.
Believe you will end up having to purchase a new ECM.Best go through this issue with your mechanic

best luck
BJ"

"BJ- what is Volvo using for t

"BJ- what is Volvo using for their ECM- is it a Delphi piece or Motorola? I know Mercruiser switched to Motorola after a few years of injection but Indmar stayed with the Delphi. No recal at all? I know they did use Delphi (when I talked to the national service mgr in '99) but the dealership I worked at had an ownership meltdown and I never got to work on the V-P motors/drives.

True- GM calibrations will not work and even the diagnostic computers would need the marine card in order to see/control what is needed.

Bobby- I would call Volvo-Penta and ask what the differences would be, based on your motor serial number and boat model. The MAP sensor will send different readings at the same loads but may still be within the same window for the fuel mapping tables. Maybe a different top RPM and slight mechanical differences but the harness and sensor locations should be the same. It's the same block after all, just a different deck height/stroke.

First boat or first in that climate (not used to freezing)?"

"Jim Volvo is using DELPHI E

"Jim Volvo is using DELPHI ECM`s

Bobby ... Have done a bit more research. The cam out of the 5.0 will work just fine in the 5.7 , The ign. module and map sensors are the same also, all other sensors dito.
The ECM is different though. It can be reprogramed but only by factory.
A thought , Those engines are getting old enough that a used one should be avaiable. What you are after is 57TBI\99BZ01 Volvo pt# 3856916

Best luck
BJ"

"If it can only be programmed

"If it can only be programmed at the factory, it can be UPS'd to them and it takes about 5 minutes to plug it in, select the correct program and transfer it. It's too bad V-P and more of the other manufacturers don't let their qualified techs do this like MasterCraft does but I would imagine it's because they don't want to release the files and they want to charge what they can for it.

Call V-P and ask what the charge is for the most current program that will work on the motor you have and your boat. We used to get the programs e-mailed to us and it's really not rocket surgery."

I want to thank you all so muc

I want to thank you all so much for your input. After 4 days of numerous phone calls to dealers and several attempts to get help from Volvo Penta I decided to change my engine on order to the original 5.0 Wow ... I had no idea that so many dealers could be on different pages on this issue. There are 2 different ecm part numbers for the 5.7 and a seperate one for the 5.0 The ecm can be recalibrated for the 5.7 but the adjustment is slight ( according to many) It just seems easier to go with what I know will work like new. Thanks again to all
Bobby

Back