Logo

All in a nut shell help with new boat

hoseman

Contributing Member
hello I am new to boating and

hello I am new to boating and I have posted several post here with good feed back just want to sum up all the problems and ask for help.First 1988 sea ray that has not been used much in the past years 130 merc with merc outdriveserial #ob880336 is the out drive an alpha one gen one? the first thing i found was water in the oil not in the filter and was seperated water came out then milky oil next when i drained it .So i changed the oil and ran the boat .It was hard to start back fired but started ran rough 3min then ran nice at an idle and high rpm shut it off and then tried to restart didnt startlet it set for 15min same out come as above ran por then good then themotor went from 175 degrees to 220 rather quick shut it down and here i am what do i do ? I think the fuel is not good how do i get it out? what to do about the temperature? the oil I drained after I ran the boat was gray and didnt seem to have more volume so maybe not a cracked block but condensation.one other thing the trim works with trailer and down only what do i do with that thank you and all advise is good advise

"Gray oil is not good.
You sh

"Gray oil is not good.
You should refill with fresh oil again and run 10-20 minutes, then drain again. If still gray or milky, you likely have a head gasket leak, or cracked head or block. (Pray it's only a gasket.)
To drain the fuel tank (assuming it's a separate centre mounted aluminum tank), just remove the rubber fuel line (that connects from the tank to the fuel pump & fuel filter) at the pickup elbow at the tank, and hookup a 6 foot piece of hose to the tank elbow. Then run the hose out through your transom hull drain opening. You can then use this to syphon out all the old gas.
Good luck,
Rod"

"are You running original mani

"are You running original manifold? very common cause of water in engine. when You tried to start, did engine act locked, or spin freely? when draining tank as explained above, be aware there is an anti-siphon valve at the fuel tank. this would need to be removed to siphon fuel from tank."

Back