Logo

What type of engine antifreeze is legal for boats

oldboy

Im thinking of installing a fr

Im thinking of installing a freshwater cooling system in my searay. Was wondering what to look for in selecting a marine/water safe coolant?

Sierra? Is this the type cool

Sierra? Is this the type coolant other people are using in there boats? Any one know if there is a CostGuard aproved coolant for Boats?

Check for any coolant that is

Check for any coolant that is "propylene glycol" and not ethylene glycol. The FDA has tagged propylene glycol as safe and it's typically USCG approved.

"Sierra is the manufacturer. S

"Sierra is the manufacturer. Same brand I use.
Although not as bad as Ethylene-Glycol, Propylene-Glycol is toxic if you drink enough of it. You still shouldn't dump it it or any other brand in the rivers, lakes, storm drains, oceans, harbors, wet lands, or other.

To my knowledge there are no 'Coast Guard Approved' engine coolants. I suppose you could ask them what they use in their boats.

If you are asking about an environmentally safe anti-freeze that is typically used in boats and RVs for winterizing... that's not the same stuff used for engine coolant.

Engine coolant stays in the closed cooling system of the engine. If it leaks out, or you drain it for maintenance, you should handle it and dispose of it properly so as not to end up in the places aforementioned.
For more info:
http://www.sierraantifreeze.com/benefit.html#1"

for fresh water cooling any quality automotive EG will work, If near a body of water you must use non-toxic to winterize if not fresh water cooled,including the manifolds and risers

Back