Logo

Yrepower Silverton 37b conv Crusader 81

edhartmansr

I am beginning the process of

I am beginning the process of compiling enough information to make a decision whether to repower this boat or rebuild the engines. Has anyone been involved in a repower on this type of boat and what problems have you solved. I am replaceing Crusader 454XL engines with Crusader 8.1 Multiports. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!!

"I had the 8.1 (HO) in

"I had the 8.1 (HO) installed in my 1990 40X last year and sugggest!!! MAKE CERTAIN YOU CHECK OUT THE COMPATIBILITY OF THE ENGINE TO THE TRANS AND TO THE EXISTING SHAFTS. I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY (AFTER ENGINES WERE INSTALLED) THAT THE TRANS RATIO THAT CAME WITH THE ENGINE WAS TOO SMALL. ALSO HAD TO BUY NEW SHAFTS. I THINK I MAY ALSO HAVE TO REPLACE THE PROPS, HAVEN'T TESTED THE EXISTING ONES YET.

WILLIAM"

"Thanks William, I have alread

"Thanks William, I have already been informed that the Velvet Drive transmissions will match the new engines. I do have a question about the shafts. Did you have to replace them because of the length or because of the diameter? Mine are 1 1/2" diameter shafts????"

"EDWARD

Had to replace my &

"EDWARD

Had to replace my (1 1/2" diameter) shafts because I needed a longer length. Don't recall what my original length were but I needed 110.75" and 111.25". The place I purchased mine priced them per feet. For some reason he had to go with 11 feet in order to fit machine to cut to size wanted??? Regarding the additonal length, I was informed that the additional length was due primarily to a different trans type selected, i.e.,630V."

Back