Logo

Mercruiser 140 balancer removal

boo_radley

"How does the harmonic balance

"How does the harmonic balancer come off the crank on my 84 140 mercruiser? I can't seem to figure it out. Is it pressed or screwed on,I see there is no bolt like most cars. Thanks"

"Most engines I've seen ha

"Most engines I've seen have the HB pressed onto the crankshaft with a center bolt to keep it in place. There are three threaded bolt holes in the HB that the bottom belt pulley bolts to.

You need to use an HB puller and not a gear puller to get the HB off. A gear puller can crack a cast HB and separate a rubber/cast HB.

The HB puller bolts onto the three pulley bolt holes and a large center bolt pushes the HB off the crank.

I haven't seen your 4 banger in a while, but I believe it's the same as all the rest."

"Thanks Jeep,I got it off with

"Thanks Jeep,I got it off with a regular balancer puller but there is no center bolt,i guess it's just pressed on. That's what was confusing me so much.
I was reading about a special tool to install it that supposedly threads into the crank but there are no threads in the crank. Getting it back on should be real interesting."

"There doesnt appear to be,jus

"There doesnt appear to be,just a hole about a quarter inch deep that doesn't seem to have any threads in it. It's about a quarter inch across too. I don't think the motor has ever been out because it only had about 500 hrs on it. I just happened to float a valve."

"On the Crankshafts, Without a

"On the Crankshafts, Without a Center Bolt,....

You need to attach a Press to the Block to press the HB back On.....

Freezing the HB also Helps....."

Back