Logo

Engine Noisevibration

trailrider

"I have a 1996 Mercruiser 305

"I have a 1996 Mercruiser 305 LX Alpha one. Engine was winterized and stored. Fired right up this spring, but about ten seconds after starting it seemed to develop a growling noise from the rear of the engine. Not real bad and runs fine and does not overheat. Drive oil is a little low. Don't think it is a gimbal bearing. Any thoughts? Should I be worried? I don't rememember the noise last year, but maybe it just sounds worse out of the water. I checked it out on the trailer using "muffs". Thanks"

Could be I guess; however ther

Could be I guess; however there is no "growling" sound or change in the tone of the noise when turning the lower unit unit. Thanks for your response.

"[b] "Drive oil is a littl

" "Drive oil is a little low."

That would concern Me,.........

The 1st thing to go Dry is the Upper Gerset,+ that's At the rear of the engine........."

"Gary:
Scott is steering yo

"Gary:
Scott is steering you in the right direction. If it is the gimbal bearing, the growl will follow any RPM change you make. You can confirm a bad bearing by the old "broom stick method". With the engine idling in neutral, take a 2' peice of broom handle or 1" dowel rod and hold it on the outside of the bearing housing next to the zerk fitting with the other end held at your ear and hear/feel the noise. You can also go "high tech" and use an automotive stethoscope.

When my gimbal bearing went out, I thought it was the water circ. pump since it was 20 years old and dripping out of the weep hole. Pump was defective and replaced but the noise was still there. It turned out to be the gimbal bearing.
Guy"

I am hearing a knocking noise

I am hearing a knocking noise when i rear up the engine once i put the engine back in neutral or rear it down the noise dissappear can some one please help i have a gm 181 3.0l 4cyclinder engine inboard. Thanks so much

Carlos: you will not get much

Carlos: you will not get much help by adding your problem to the tail end of another's. Take your info and start a new thread. Guy

Back