Logo

Mercruiser 165 Ln 6 outdrive leak

holinwtr

Regular Contributor
I have a merc inline 6 165 wit

I have a merc inline 6 165 with water leaking out where the upper and lower unit meet on the forward side. It's seems to be around the shift shaft. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is this going to be major surgery or a minor scratch?

"You Might get by with replaci

"You Might get by with replacing Just the Shaft Shaft Seal,......
But,....
When I have a seal start to Leak,.....
I figure that the rest of the Seals are also in Need of replacement,....
So,.....
I send the drive out for a Reseal,+ general Tear-down,+ Inspection to go with those New Seals......."

"Graham,
Is it overheating or

"Graham,
Is it overheating or are you getting water in the leg oil? Could just be the exhaust water discharge."

"It's not overheating beca

"It's not overheating because we just had the motor completely redone, and everything is bran new, with all gauges working. I'm not sure about water getting into the outdrive oil. I need to check it. If there is water in the leg oil, what should I be suspicious of? Where would it likely be coming from?

Bondo: How much money does it usually run you to have the outdrive completely tore down? I called a guy not to long ago and he said it would be about $800-$900."

"If its not overheating the wa

"If its not overheating the waterpump in the leg is pushing enough water up to the engine so I wouldnt imagine youd have a problem with leaks there. To see if you are getting water in the sterndrive leg you will need to drain the oil and let it settle you will see it. First indication will be if its a milky colour. There are a number of places where water can get in. Seals mainly.

Back to your first question though.

Sometimes water does come out between the upper and lower unit. There is no watertight seal between them. Drainage usually, or sometimes exhaust water when you run the engine on a flusher.

I have owned a boat with 165's, but maybe an expert might like to come in here?"

"Graham,..... I'm Sorry,..

"Graham,..... I'm Sorry,.... I read Oil where you typed Water........

Having Water there, I don't think is an Issue,.... The Gearcase is Wet with water on Both sides there....

As for the Reseal, that I now think You probably Don't need,....
A friend who's In the Business, charges me $200.00 Labor,+ I supply the Parts....."

I guess I'll at least chan

I guess I'll at least change the gear oil this spring and then go from there. Thanks for all your help.

Back