Logo

Old gimbal bearing

skelly1

"My boat is a 1971 with a merc

"My boat is a 1971 with a mercruiser 165 engine (6 cyl). The time came to replace the gimbal bearing. The bearing I got from the marine store is 30-60794A 4. The upper part of the drive that came with the boat has the number 5988317, 1.65R. The gimbal ring has a number 55894 with a smaller 2 digit under the 4. The new bearing looks different. The inner part is 1/4" wider than the original. The original also has plastic on the outer part of it plus what looks like 3 brass shims that went around it. I'm afraid of installing it and it not working and having to remove it. Any thoughts? Thanks"

"I have never seen shims on a

"I have never seen shims on a gimbal bearing! Everyone I have replaced have had a metal shield that went around the entire bearing. Someone could have made this old bearing fit by shimming it. I would trust the one from the marine store. Also, NAPA has marine parts and few people know this!!! I have been told that many marine repairman use NAPA because of their overnight availability in my area. The parts are typical quality associated with NAPA You can get their catalog from any NAPA store by ordering it...I think I paid $5 for mine. It has all marine applications and parts breakdowns on many units....like the Mercruiser lower unit. But the best part is, I find their prices much lower than a marine dealer!! I'm looking in my catalog and the gimbal bearing 30-60794A4 is the correct bearing but thier number is 18-2100. Go to www.napaonline.com to get a price. Hope this helps! Also be sure you line up the grease fitting with the hole in the bearing. Move the shield around till you have an opening. The grease has to move from the zert through the hole into the bearing......"

"Steve and Ken,

Not all mar

"Steve and Ken,

Not all marine dealers price parts the same way.

NAPA sells part number 18-2100 on their website for $51.49 we sell it (same part) for $37.46 , here is the link to 18-2100.

And buying from NAPA you will pay tax, even online. With us you don't pay sales tax unless you are in Vermont.

... and when you buy from us you help support the forum you are now using...
happy.gif

Sorry about the sales pitch, but I don't want people thinking NAPA has the best prices when they don't.
thumbs_up.gif
"

I don't see any place in t

I don't see any place in the gimbal for a zerk fitting or a hole to add grease to the bearing. I see the hole in the bearing itself. Any idea why? I'll upload a pic of the gimbal when my camera gets charged. Thanks.

"zerk is on outside of transom

"zerk is on outside of transom assy. there is a hole in the bearing cavity about 4 o'clock. line up the hole in the bearing with this. early models did have shims. they have not been used in many years, and are no longer needed. same for the e clip behind the bearing."

"I found the zerk on my other

"I found the zerk on my other boat with an ancient mercruiser. The boat that I am working on doesn't have one. Assuming there is no way to grease it in place because of it being older than dirt, is it worth messing with this gimbal or buying a newer one that I could upgrade with an Alpha leg? Seems to me that my gimbal is just too old. I wish I could upload pics but the smallest I can go is bigger than 100KB."

Steve: you can drill a hole i

Steve: you can drill a hole in the gimbal and tap it for the zerk fitting if you are careful to line it up the hole in the bearing. Your 71 model O/D apparently was mfged. w/o one which required removal of the O/D for lubrication. Guy

"So, I guess the question now

"So, I guess the question now is can I use the 30-60794A 4 bearing without a zerk fitting, and just plan on changing it every couple years? I'm afraid of drilling a zerk hole because of corosion in the area. I'm not afraid of changing the bearing though. It's pretty straight forward as long as I have the right part. Thanks."

"Steve:
If you pull the O/D a

"Steve:
If you pull the O/D at the end of each season for bellows and general inspection and U-joint lubrication, lube the gimbal bearing by hand. As long as the gimbal bearing stays lubed and moisture free, it should last a long time.

Check the female splines on the engine coupler. Are they nice and square cut like the O/D shaft male splines or are the edges rounded on the coupler splines? Does your coupler have a zerk lube fitting on the shaft at the rear of the engine? Pump some lube into it to keep the coupler splines lubed. Use an alignment tool to put O/D back.
Guy"

"I got the new bearing in. I

"I got the new bearing in. I haven't been able to get the old snap ring back in. Just to verify because I have read this before, Is it unnecessary to install the snap ring? Thanks"

Back