Logo

1970 20hp Johnson gear problem

delta1273

I've got what I think is a

I've got what I think is a 1970 20hp Johnson Sea Horse outboard (model 20R-70E). It cranks and runs good but now I can't get it back into neutral. Anybody got any ideas? I don't want to take it to a mechanic and spend $400 on a $500 motor. Thanks!

Perhaps you have throttle appl

Perhaps you have throttle applied which would cause the timer base under the flywheel to be in such a position whereas it has locked the vertical shift lock lever. This is a safety feature to prevent shifting at high rpms.

"sev scenarios come to mind...

"sev scenarios come to mind....if one of your shift rods have become disc from brass conn inside small plate on exhaust housing,..u wont shift...other than that..while looking in there,move shifter,spin prop,and watch rods move,if they are moving ok,...u may have clutch dog,cradle,or fork /pin prob."

"We can find forward and rever

"We can find forward and reverse, but neutral is not there. I should have put that in the fist post. Does this make any difference? We're not mechanics so can anyone break this down in dummy terms for me?"

"under your circumstances,my s

"under your circumstances,my suggestion,would be to take it to a boat repair shop to have it evaluated for repair,it may be something simple,maybe expensive."

Back