Logo

Cam for 57

kazaroo

"I am currently rebuilding my

"I am currently rebuilding my 5.7L Chevy/Mercruiser due to a loose piston wrist pin causing piston wobble and thereby low compression, low rpms and bad performance. It is an 350/270hp engine in my 23' Wellcraft Nova XL. I am thinking of bumping up the performance by switching to a slightly more radical cam shaft while I am there. Heads, exhaust, etc. are new, but stock. I am using an Edelbrock Performer series intake with the Edelbrock 650 cfm marine carb. I am a long time motor head and I am fond of either Comp or Crane cams. I plan to stay with hydraulic lifters so I don't need new rocker arms as well, but I would like to add a little more power to the enginge while I'm in here. Does anyone have suggestions for cam specs to look for? Thanks!"

"Be careful with too much over

"Be careful with too much overlap--you might suck in water. It would be a really good idea to add height to your risers, and flappers to prevent water getting in.

Jeff"

"Thanks! Flappers are new, as

"Thanks! Flappers are new, as well as the risers which do come straight up from the middle of the exhaust manifolds. What I am looking for is some specs to go by. Some lift and duration numbers would be great! Does anyone know the stock mercruiser numbers? I want more, but not radical! I dont' want it loping so bad that it rocks the boat side to side at idle. I'm not building a 1/4 mile car, that I'd know. Thanks again!"

"If you stay At, or Below a 21

"If you stay At, or Below a 214 /218 cam with an LSA between 109*,+ 112* you Should be OK......."

"Are we talking advertised dur

"Are we talking advertised duration or at 050 inch lift? And by LSA you mean lobe separation, right? Now, I have a replacement, but stock Alpha 1 outdrive, so what operational rpm range should I look for?

Thanks again for your input!!"

Thanks for you help! It's

Thanks for you help! It's really nice to have a forum like this to refer to for educated and experienced answers!

"Comp Cams recommended PN 08-4

"Comp Cams recommended PN 08-416-8 for my 5.7 liter powered Sea Ray.http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=08-416-8

I am trying to figure out how to determin head chamber size in my rebuild. Can't seem to find the identification markings on block and heads. I do know the engine is from a 1 ton 1999 truck though. I guess I could research that way.

Anyway with regards to cams I think all of us weekend captains want the same. More performance with no integriy sacrafices.

good luck.

Kevin"

kevin
stock 99 vortech truck

kevin
stock 99 vortech truck heads should be 64cc

"Thanks John,

Any idea if I

"Thanks John,

Any idea if I could get by using flat top pistons or would compression be to high for 5000RPM all day on marine 89?

Or should I opt. for slightly dished pistons like the truck engine had original. Thanks"

Back