Logo

Alarm sound

cassules

"I've a 22' Shamrock P

"I've a 22' Shamrock Predator with a 300 HP Mercruiser Horizon.

Less than one minute after I start the engine it makes an intermitent warning sound. The oil level from engine and tansmission are ok, the temperature is ok it doesn't even get to warm up.

Can anyone tell me where to look at?"

"Is the Outdrive Lube Reservoi

"Is the Outdrive Lube Reservoir Full,+ Water Free,..??...."

"First, make sure you really d

"First, make sure you really do have good oil pressure. If there is any doubt, connect a mechanical gage.
Check all the wiring to the water temperature and oil pressure sending units for a ground or short. Either of the sending units could also be internally shorted... to check, disconnet the wire from one and hold away from any thing that could ground it and complete the circuit. Start the engine. If the alarm persists, it could be the other one. To confirm, reconnect the first one and disconnect the other. If it goes away, bingo! That's the one. If it doesn't, keep looking for the short.

A wiring diagram would be very helpful to trace out the problem."

"I have a regal 18 footer with

"I have a regal 18 footer with a 1992 Mercruiser (Gas) 3.0L (181), 4 cyl i can hear coming from the front of the enhine a contionuous knocking sound. Also the alternator belt is starting to strip and occassionaly come of the alternator and the front pulleys. Last week i was able to reach around 35-40 knots but now at full throttle i am only able to reach 25-30 knots maximum with the continuous noise coming from the front section of this engine. Please can you recommend what i need to get rid of the noise and to increase the speed of the boat
rain.gif
}"

"Normally what is hooked up to

"Normally what is hooked up to the alarm circuit is oil pressure, ignition, water temp and stern drive oil level. Since you don't have a stern drive, that is eliminated, so it is one of the others. One thing you might want to check is the temp alarm sender. This is a different sending unit than the temp gauge sending unit and in fact is just a temperature driven switch.

Last way to find out what it is is to start disconnecting each sending unit. The alarm circuits are just ground outs. Any ground will cause the alarm to sound, so if you pull the wire off the sender, when you find the culprit, the alarm will quit. (It would be real nice to have each sender on a separate circuit with an idiot light so you know what the problem is.)

Regarding your last statement, the faster you go, the less you can hear the alarms, so put the throttle down.
"

"Carlos,
You ought to start a

"Carlos,
You ought to start a new thread. Things get confusing quick when we start talking about more than one problem per thread."

Back