Logo

1965 3 hp evinrude compression

S

sailin420

"I have a 1965 3 hp evinrude.

"I have a 1965 3 hp evinrude. I was wondering what it should be reading for compression in its prime? Today I was showing 45 psi on the bottom and 55 on the top. I have always heard you don't want more than a 10% fluctuation between the two? In your opinion is this still capable of being a strong runner? I am looking at restoring it enough to use it, it has been sitting for years.

Also, the needle adjustment has no stop on it, it just keeps turning and turning, is it supposed to do that?"

"both those comp readings soun

"both those comp readings sound low to me,but,i have'nt seen a 3 hp on a looong time.Might could ck/replace head gasket,de-carbonize the engine to help clean reseal the piston rings,...the adjusting needle,is not supposed to do that.What is happening,is ..it is screwed in to an aluminum piece that is threaded,and IT ,is spinning,in the smooth bore area where it fits...what we do is,clean w/spray carb cleaner(or alcohol),use RED locktite to re-secure threaded piece to carb...now,..you have to be extremely careful,...no red stuff in threads,just around round aluminum piece that is spinning,it will come right out on the needle."

Back