Logo

55 chrysler impeller

bussell

I was wondering if someone co

I was wondering if someone could give me some information on changing the impeller on a chrysler 55hp. I started it the other day w/muffs on and it sputtered some water out. Then I started it again last night w/the motor tilted up and it wouldn't spit any water out. Do you think it is the impeller or could it just be the muffs or something els?

thanks for any help

" I did the impeller on my 196

" I did the impeller on my 1969 35hp Chrysler last year things went pretty smooth. The muffs did not line up properly on my model. Recommend running it in a garbage can as a back up test. Running it dry cause added wear to impeller. Frankly if you have reason to suspect poor pumping replace the impeller. It cheaper than a new engine!
This is how it went for my unit.
Remove lower side covers, this exposed the shift linkage. Loosen one of the nuts only, this allows you to use the other as a reference position for reassembly. There were four bolts that hold lower unit on. These must be removed first to allow for complete disconnection of shift linkage. Take care with linkage as boat could start in gear if close attention is not given on reassembly.

I got most of my info from the following book at my local library, OUTBOARD MOTOR Service Manual 11th edition volume 2 ISBN 0-87288-465-1
Regards
Dennis "

Back