Logo

05 30 cruiser Turn Key Start

doug_k

Hi! I purchased a 05 Bayliner

Hi! I purchased a 05 Bayliner 185 3.0 mercruiser with a turn key start.It says turn key start in the air cleaner. Is this an automatic choke? Anyone know anything about this?
THANKS

"from the merc site

STILLWA

"from the merc site

STILLWATER, Okla. (Sept., 2004) – Mercury MerCruiser® is introducing an innovative new turn-key starting (TKS) system technology for its industry-leading carbureted sterndrive and inboard engines, dramatically simplifying starting – the most common complaint among carbureted engine owners, according to recent J.D. Power and Associates research. MerCruiser® developed its new TKS system, which utilizes a redesigned carburetor with an automatic fuel-enrichment system instead of a traditional choke, to produce instant, effortless starts at the turn of a key – even in cold weather.
“Carbureted engines are a tried-and-true technology, but as was suggested by the J.D. Power research, they needed to be easier to start,” said Jay Povlin, MerCruiser’s vice president of sales, marketing and product integration. “Now, with our new TKS system, you simply turn the key, and the engine starts effortlessly and consistently. There’s no longer a need for priming or throttle-handle adjustments; just turn the key and go.”
TKS is now standard on all carbureted sterndrive and inboard engines, and, as a result, the entire MerCruiser line-up, fuel-injected or carbureted, delivers simple turn-key starting. Additionally, the redesigned carburetor and additional components that make up the TKS system will be available from Mercury Precision Parts & Accessories as an after-market kit and can be retrofitted to MerCruiser products manufactured since 1997.
“We’re hearing more and more from customers that their expectations for boating experiences are increasing,” Povlin said. “This feedback has prompted us to launch a number of additional technical advancements to our engines this year – advancements that will greatly enhance the value of MerCruiser products to boaters.”"

"The first reply you got sound

"The first reply you got sounds like every reply I got for long time after I purchased a 2006 5.7L. No disrespect to wish2fish but, the "simply turn the key and start" explanation drove me crazy. I ponied up the 70 dollars for the manual so I'll give you a brief esplanation.
The choke plate is gone, instead there is a new enrichment jet that feeds a small reservoir that is cast into the carburetor. You will notice a small 3/16" hole on top of the carb that pulls air into a emulsion tube that mixes with the gas in the reservoir then injects it under the throttle plate. This opening is then closed by a plunger on the carb after the tks module heats up from applied 12 volts(ignition on) and blocks enrichment fuel. This takes about 8 minutes for the plunger to extend, when my engine is at aprox. 130 deg. This TKS module is kept warm or closed by a separate circuit useing a second water temp switch. So It won't add fuel when the engine is allready warm. You can hear the air intake hole hissing before it closes off with a pretty good suction because it's pulling a vacuum from under the closed thottle plate at idle. By the way it works well, I like the theory of adding fuel like EFI does instead of restricting air which a choke does with a cold engine.
There, I feel better knowing someone else on the planet besides mercruiser engineers know how this works."

"stan,
those are not my opini

"stan,
those are not my opinions or comments. All I did was cut and paste from the merc site. I was just trying to pass on some information I found. No disrespect to you but read other post for the way they were posted."

"I hope they also came up with

"I hope they also came up with a way to prevent it percolating when hot. Since the carb sits atop the EXHAUST manifold on this unique motor, that has always caused hot restart problems with these motors.

Jeff"

Back