Logo

Turbo engine

• Thread starter Michael Whitaker
  • Start date
M

Michael Whitaker

"hello i am a big fan of cars

"hello i am a big fan of cars and engines but i am new to boats. i have a 1975 MFG GYPSEY that has a 140 hp engine in it. now i have a couple turbo nissan engines laying around and i was playing with the idea of putting one into this boat. the engine has about 250 hp when the boost is in but will cruise at about 160 hp. now i know that something like this will take some work to get it it to fit together but my main questions are, do you think the boat will hold up to the extra 110 hp? will the stern drive hold up? or will the boat just rip apart. any input will be greatly appericated

thanks mike"

"Mike,

Your main questions

"Mike,

Your main questions should be "can I obtain Coast Guard approved components for this engine which will enable it to be used safely in a marine application" and "how in the world am I going to cool that exhaust system". If you get those figured out, then you can worry about the following:

Who makes marine engine mounts for this engine?
How do I bolt my engine to my Mercruiser bell housing?
How do I couple the engine to the shaft?
How do I "marinize" this engine?
What gear ratio do I need to be able to plane this boat with so little low end torque, but so high top end RPMs?
Why in the world do I want to put all of this time and money into a 30 year old boat when for less money I can buy a newer one, turn key, which will be safer and perform better?

Good luck
Rick"

"Michael:
Please have someo

"Michael:
Please have someone videotape you and your boat at its innaugral voyage. Then you will win 1st prize on America's Funniest Videos when the video shows the engine and outdrive slicing thru the haul and passing you in your captain's chair.

Seriously, Rick is giving you the answer you need. Besides, if your were able to do the list he provided, did you look at the Coast Guard placard for the boat's HP limit?
Guy"

"Believe I'd look around f

"Believe I'd look around for factory turbo boats and try to copy their setup,,,,,,NO other turbo boats? Must be a reason!

Bob"

Question one: where does the

Question one: where does the sea water go after it cools your gas marine engine?

Question two: What does a turbo charger do when the exhaust you are spinning it with contains sea water?

"Jeep: The raw water is sent

"Jeep: The raw water is sent from the T'Stat tower by hose to cool the manifolds. It is then mixed with the hot manifold gases and finally the mix exits out thru the prop or hull.

I don't believe the turbo charger gets powered by wet exhaust, thus the heat buildup problem in the closed engine compartment. I am betting the turbine's waste is cooled after the energy is extracted from it by the turbine. A turbine can get cherry red from hard use if not properly lubricated and cooled.
Maybe I'm wrong. Anyone know differently?
Guy"

"If the cooling water goes thr

"If the cooling water goes through the exhaust manifolds and then travels through the risers and out, where exactly do you take the exhaust from while it's still dry to to power the turbo? I'm sure you could reroute the cooling, but then you aren't cooling the exhaust. That's one reason you don't see gasoline turbo engines. While I'm sure there's someone who jury rigged something that worked well, the only turbos I see are on real diesel motors. The post here is talking about taking an automotive turbo motor and dropping it into a boat."

"[b] "The post here is tal

" "The post here is talking about taking an automotive turbo motor and dropping it into a boat."

Which is Why everybody is saying,.....

It Won't Work............"

Yet one more reason not to do

Yet one more reason not to do this: The motor would be on boost virtually constantly while on plane. The result? Melted everything!

Jeff

"It's in Swedish, but look

"It's in Swedish, but look at the pictures here: http://http://www.hilmersson-racing.com/start.asp?show=e
Supercharged Volvo 5 cyl in a jet boat

If you can do similar engineering then go ahead. I would tend to agree more with the people that have already posted here though. If you are new to boats and have to ask if it will work or not, you're not ready for the project.

I can't even imagine how I would deal with the immense heat from the turbine housing. You can cool the exhaust post-turbine but you'll still see 1100F or so heat on the turbine housing with no good way to cool it."

Back